A weekend of failed apartment hunting in San Diego. I would like to live in one of the hipper, urban areas of SD (Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, Banker's Hill, etc.) but work is in the middle of nowhere in comparison--about 20 miles away, many places don't accept pets, and many places in these areas don't have a washer & dryer in the units (yes, I am lazy). I think I'm giving up and staying in the 'burbs for awhile longer.
I'm an unloyal corporate slave though. I found some intriguing research scientist positions in the Bay Area for my field; so I just applied to two positions. I tried applying to similar positions a year ago before the Ph.D. was done and couldn't get any call backs. Here's to hoping things are different this year. In the meantime, I am already day-dreaming what if's...
Plusses for a new job:
Live with bf again,
commute excellent for one of the positions (10 miles),
job actually requires Ph.D. so maybe I can put my degree to use,
get out of San Diego.
Negatives for a new job:
Have only been in current job for 6 months; wouldn't hurt to stay longer so I'm not labelled a job-hopper,
Commute so-so for one of the positions (16 miles from San Jose),
Have to face my current boss and her wrath about me leaving,
Interviewing is stressful, especially if I am trying to hide it from current job,
Probably an expensive penalty to break apt. lease.
Despite the negatives, I'm pretty sure if I was offered a real industry research position, I would take it in a heartbeat. Being a user interface lacky to an engineering development group does not leave a lot of room for growth.
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being labeled a job hopper is a big negative and you'll burn a bridge for sure. However, if it's better for your career then go for it.
ReplyDelete