Saturday, June 19, 2010

Back to cooking

I've been doing pretty well with eating cleaner for the last few weeks. I probably need to eat fewer nuts if I want to see any weight loss, and my only breakdowns seem to be my continued reliance on protein bars, and I've succumbed to this Cinnamon Peanut Butter spread on celery which is throwing sugar into my diet that I don't need -- but gawwwwd, it is so good on celery.

But besides an occasional meal eaten out and the items just mentioned, I've managed to easily avoid flours, dairy, and non-natural sugars. For work lunches, I've been relying on quinoa alot plus a protein, and then I also used kale this week but I don't like prepping it.

Today I made sweet potato fries as an end of week indulgence since I was really craving a full, regular dinner (ate the fries with some roasted chicken I made with lemon/rosemary marinade). Most nights after I get home from work, I'm not hungry enough to justify a real dinner and just have celery + the bad-for-me peanut butter, some nuts, and fruit.

Sweet Potato Fries

Cut sweet potato into thin strips (preferably as even sized as possible so you don't burn pieces like I did).

Mix potato strips with a little bit of olive oil, cayenne pepper, pepper, and cumin.

Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees, tossing/turning the fries after about 10 minutes.

Add salt to taste.

2 comments:

  1. You can get natural peanut butter without added sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but can you get natural peanut butter with cinnamon raisin flavor without added cane sugar?

    I guess I could take natural PB and add my own cinnamon and raisins, but it would be as delicious.

    ReplyDelete