Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Most annoying job app

A company whose name ends in "dee-oh" and begins with "I" has the most annoying job application ever. I guess they must get a ga-zillion resumes, so they have to figure out a way to make sure someone really really really wants to work there to go through the pain.

At first glance, it doesn't sound so bad -- just submit an extra document highlighting some of your key research projects and then describe in more detail your approach, insights, and challenges (and actually, they want that detail for "3 to 5 projects"). Well, gah, I've spent an hour and have written 1 single spaced page and I am not even halfway done describing one project. There's no way I can do this for 3 projects -- not that I even have 3 serious projects to describe in this much detail.

I won't be holding my breath for a call back when I finally finish the application. Where's inspirational Mr Gretzky when I need him? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? I'm not witty enough for a punchy corollary, but something has to be said for knowing when something is probably a waste of time and maybe the time spent trying to make shots that don't go in should be used elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment