Monday, June 21, 2010

Chicken Stock

I get a thrill re-using food scraps to make stock. I haven't cooked bone-in meat probably since around last Thanksgiving, but with my roasted chicken scraps I made a nice stock over the weekend based on this recipe.

I didn't measure anything and just used what I had on hand which was 3 chicken breast bones + scraps, 1/4 leftover green pepper, 2 stalks celery, 1 onion, and 2 carrots. Boiled with about 8-9 cups of water and the spices for about 3 hours.

I used the stock tonight to cook my quinoa, yum. Just added some toasted pine nuts to the quinoa and I'll take it for lunch tomorrow with some more of the leftover chicken meat. While I wasn't a fan of quinoa the first few times, I really like how fast it cooks (about 15 minutes for 1 cup) and so it's grown on me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to cook a lot with quinoa as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - it's good stuff. I like that it's high in protein for being a "grain." I saw your curry quinoa dish, but that one didn't appeal to me. Keep posting your dishes though, I am checking them out.

    ReplyDelete