So I had my phone screen with a Bay Area research lab today. I loved how academic the interview was; the people on the call first wanted to know about my dissertation process, the results, methodologies, etc etc. Totally up my alley.
The part of the call that didn't go as well was trying to prove that I have the skills to implement prototypes and/or design systems. Admittedly, I don't think I have those skills - while I do some interaction design currently, my "designs" are static wireframes. Other people build those designs and I don't have the creative mojo with Photoshop/Illustrator to put the final layer on top of the design.
If I don't get called back for the in-person interview, I won't be heartbroken if it's because I can't build prototypes. I don't want to be coding and that's not where my strengths lay. However, these research lab positions (that are focused on user experience) are limited in number, so I am hopeful that my skills are a fit for their projects.
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment