I recently came across this great recipe blog called Homesick Texan, and while I can't even claim to be a Texan whatsoever, living in Austin for five years certainly gave me a deep appreciation for their food. It never ceases to depress me that while I now live in a state that is also heavily influenced by Mexican cuisine (California), it's really just not the same here (read: not as good).
So far I've tried one recipe from the blog, Migas, and they were fantastic, but more effort and ingredients than I would like for an everyday recipe (especially in the morning) -- I never have milk on hand (don't drink it, only buy it for specific recipes), and I'm too lazy to chop cilantro, onions, and jalapenos when I'm only making a single serving for myself.
If you want to get technical, my version is probably more in the realm of chilaquiles because of the increased ratio of chips to eggs, and sometimes I cook in the salsa with the egg mixture instead of leaving it as a topping. I recommend using a fresh salsa that has a lot of herbs, garlic, etc. in it -- this makes up for the lack of chopping up your own.
My Quick Version of Migas
Servings: 1 hungry person
2 corn tortillas
2 eggs
Canned diced jalapenos
Shredded cheddar/jack cheese (optional)
Canola oil
Salt & Pepper
Salsa (I will give Southern California credit for stocking a really delicious salsa in the supermarkets, I love this stuff: La Salsa Chilena)
1) Heat oil in a frying pan (be somewhat generous with the oil). While the oil is heating up, beat eggs with a fork -- throw in some diced jalapenos to taste and some salt and pepper.
2) Cut corn tortillas into strips and begin frying. Get a nice crisp on them, turning the chips once. Once they're crisped, pour out the excess oil (leave the chips in the pan).
3) Pour egg mixture into the pan, add some cheese to taste, and cook until eggs are done.
4) Serve, topping with salsa.
Saturday, August 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment