Since I'm working on a "quantified self" project at work, I've learned about FitBit, which is a pedometer that also tracks sleep patterns. They have a nice web site where you can also track your food, exercise, and other basic health statistics (weight, measurements, etc.). It's free to log and see all your data, but you can pay $50 a year to access an online fitness coach and compare your stats to people similar to you.
My goal is to see if this will motivate me to eat better and drop the "Int*l 5" I've put on since moving to Oregon and starting the new job.

I get the biggest kick out of seeing my sleep activity data -- mainly because I don't know how it's logging it.
Whoa. Pretty slick and I just added it to my wishlist. I'm really curious about how many calories I burn during my morning exercise and about my sleep patterns. I'm sure mine will say something like, "Woke up 400 times." Heh.
ReplyDeleteI assume it tracks your sleep by monitoring your pulse.
Good find.
Hey - just to clarify, the pedometer won't be able to automatically log calories burned during exercise. You enter your exercise manually on the web site, though it uses some database to give a prediction of the calories burned.
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you end up getting one. We can "friend" each other on the site and compare number of steps taken etc.
Hmmm...misleading advertising then: "The Fitbit accurately tracks your calories burned, steps taken, distance traveled and sleep quality. The Fitbit contains a 3D motion sensor like the one found in the Nintendo Wii. The Fitbit tracks your motion in three dimensions and converts this into useful information about your daily activities."
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of getting one for my mom for her birthday, but she already has a pedometer.
It's sounding a little less cool for me as well since I have a pedometer as well.
Yeah, I agree it is misleading. While I think it may be slightly more sophisticated than a pedometer it capturing walking motions (I think it can tell the difference from a walking step vs. a running step), it doesn't have sensors to know if you're lifting weights or doing jumping jacks.
ReplyDeleteRead point #2 in this Amazon review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R28UMF76TD9UZY/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1