All in all, the interview day went as best as it could. The current status is that they're supposedly interviewing more candidates on-site in the next coming weeks, and then they'll get back to me.
I very much want this job, and want to be back in P-town, but of course it is not up to me at this point. I've laid out my cards and presented myself as best as I could, and now it's just time to wait and hope that they see an alignment of my capabilities and the skills needed for this position.
Positives:
This team did not pull out any of those lame, generic, behavioral interview questions. In fact, there were no stupid questions whatsoever, I'm impressed. Each "interview" was more like having an interesting conversation on topics of design strategy, which were based primarily upon my experiences at my current job.
I was the least nervous I have ever been when giving an hour-long presentation. Some things I mentally did with myself which I think helped minimize nerves: 1) Focused on the idea that being nervous is a rude behavior because it makes other people uncomfortable -- so don't be nervous; 2) What I get to talk about are cool & fun ideas on design, and so just relax and view the talk as a series of interesting stories I get to tell.
Socially, I think I was a good fit. There were no awkward moments that I detected in terms of general bantering with the team.
Negatives:
The team needs someone who can take a leadership role for this position--maybe they'll perceive me as not having the necessary charisma and vision to be a project leader. Especially perhaps in comparison to other people they might interview.
My presentation was a little disjointed and some of my sentences were a bit repetitive.
Saturday, November 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't worry about the leadership part. Not every leader needs to be MLK, Jr charismatic. Places like In**l will accept people who lead by example.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I've found 'leading' actually just means doing, though specifically doing in the face of people either not wanting you to do it, not believing you can do it, or not caring if you do it or not. Until they see the results. Then you're a 'leader' and they supported you all along.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting through it!
BTW, Blogger has the most awful, 'failed to get the federated log-in and community produced content memo' commenting model I've ever seen. It's taken me from whenever you started this blog until now to even figure out how to sign in. I'm not kidding. There must be a better blog site, these people are going out of business tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteIt's weird that you can't leave anonymous comments. Though maybe I have something screwed up in my settings.
ReplyDelete