Parsian International Grocery (4020 Convoy St) and Balboa International Market (5907 Balboa Ave). I have to say, I was impressed! I guess I should have realized that San Diego's proximity to Los Angeles means that you can get most of the same stuff--though I did not find as good of a trail mix (ajeel) as I could in Los Angeles.
Before I forget, the Persian trail mix that I love so much from Westwood Blvd. in LA consists of the following -- so I can always mix up my own if needed since all the ingredients are available at any Persian grocer.
Recipe for Persian Trail Mix
Walnuts
Raw Almonds
Pistachios
Dried Garbanzo Beans
Dried Apricots
A few bits of Turkish Delight candy
Dried Mulberries
Dried Golden Raisins
Fard Noghl
Balboa International Market was a fantastic store -- it was a medium/larger sized store that was well stocked, especially with items that I'd never seen elsewhere (e.g. Armenian brands).
Mulberries look like some horrible larvae to me, but I know they taste good so I picked up this Armenian brand of mulberry preserves. I just tried it on some warm, homemade bread and it was heavenly. It was much sweeter than I anticipated and the spread was thinner than syrup (excluding the whole mulberries within the spread). This would work well with pancakes or crepes, and also with a soft cheese and bread.
I'll review some of the other new-to-me groceries I got once I've had a chance to try them out.
No comments:
Post a Comment