Saturday, May 29, 2010

Running shoes

Went to Road Runner Sports to get fitted for new running shoes today. They do the whole get-up where you run on a treadmill and it records on a video so it can be played slower and your gait can be assessed. They also have some device where you stand on a mat and it does a digital graph of your arches and whether you distribute weight on one foot more than other (I put 63% of my weight on the left side of my body/foot apparently).

They said I'm pronating a little on my right ankle, but overall my gait is straight and there isn't anything super wrong. The catch with RR is that they're constantly pushing their "custom insoles" that cost $80 (I noticed they pitched them to every single customer). I passed on those, but gave into letting them sell me the "generic" insoles from SuperFeet. My right leg occasionally can feel a little tweaked when jogging, so I'm willing to give the insoles a try.

I ended up with Frankenstein-colored Saucony Fastwitch shoes. Otherwise, I would have stuck with Nike Free's (which they also recommended for me), but I've used those for years now and want to try something new.

I actually was trying to find the Vibram 5-Fingers to buy, but neither RR nor REI next door had the ones I wanted in stock.


2 comments:

  1. I have a pair of 5 Fingers and they're great. My feet feel much better in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool - what activities do you wear them for? Do you have the ones with a thinner or thicker tread?

    ReplyDelete