Made a quiche for a team lunch and thought this was the best base recipe I've ever used--it received a lot of compliments, too (not typical for my cooking). I based what I made off of the recipe from this blog.
I'm only listing the filling, I did make a pate brisee crust with it that worked really well, too.
Kale & Cheese Quiche
1 leek, chopped into small pieces
1 bunch of kale, loosely chopped
4 large eggs
Approx 1.5 cups milk or cream or half & half (see step 5)
1 cup shredded cheese (used blend of Fontina, Gruyere, & Swiss)
1 Tbsp. butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Dash of Nutmeg
1. Sautee leek in butter until cooked through
2a. When the leeks are about 3/4 of the way done, throw in the kale and cook down
2b. If I was serving this to others, I would steam the kale separately and blot out excess water
3. Whisk eggs in a measuring cup that can hold at least 2 cups of liquid
4. Add salt & pepper to taste and a dash of nutmeg to eggs
5. Pour enough milk into egg mixture until it reaches the 2 cup line marker, whisk mixture
6. Spread leeks & kale onto a blind baked pie crust (or empty pie dish if making crustless)
7. Layer half the cheese onto leeks & kale
8. Pour egg & milk mixture on top
9. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese onto the pie
10. Cook at 350 F for about 40-50 minutes
I'm only listing the filling, I did make a pate brisee crust with it that worked really well, too.
Kale & Cheese Quiche
1 leek, chopped into small pieces
1 bunch of kale, loosely chopped
4 large eggs
Approx 1.5 cups milk or cream or half & half (see step 5)
1 cup shredded cheese (used blend of Fontina, Gruyere, & Swiss)
1 Tbsp. butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Dash of Nutmeg
1. Sautee leek in butter until cooked through
2a. When the leeks are about 3/4 of the way done, throw in the kale and cook down
2b. If I was serving this to others, I would steam the kale separately and blot out excess water
3. Whisk eggs in a measuring cup that can hold at least 2 cups of liquid
4. Add salt & pepper to taste and a dash of nutmeg to eggs
5. Pour enough milk into egg mixture until it reaches the 2 cup line marker, whisk mixture
6. Spread leeks & kale onto a blind baked pie crust (or empty pie dish if making crustless)
7. Layer half the cheese onto leeks & kale
8. Pour egg & milk mixture on top
9. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese onto the pie
10. Cook at 350 F for about 40-50 minutes
No comments:
Post a Comment