Sunday, March 18, 2012

Shamrock Run and More Eats

Morning started off with the 15k Shamrock Run--I took my time and overall felt it was "easy"at a 10:13 minute/mile pace. I was never out of breath and only vaguely sore toward the end, so this means I should have pushed myself to run a bit faster. This was the first time I didn't have any nerves about an official run, usually I feel quite a bit anxious and jittery--it may be because I had practiced this run already the weekend before.

And, only in Portland is it conceivable and true that I could leave a wool peacoat (just H&M, but still) by a tree before the start of the race and return to find it still there afterwards. Granted, it probably helped that there were non-stop crowds milling around everywhere.

Had breakfast afterwards with gym buddies at 'The Original' downtown; which was tastier than I expected. It's definitely trying too hard to be hipster cool, but I don't know if it was because I'd just been running for 90 minutes or what, but this Bacon Cornmeal Waffle with Fried Chicken was the most delicious meal I've had in awhile at a Portland restaurant:


I'm now off to hot pot shortly with some work colleagues (one with a Chinese wife who I hope will explain the ins-and-outs to me), I've never done hot pot before.

2 comments:

  1. Hot pot is pretty straight-forward - dump a bunch of stuff into the pot, wait for it to cook and then fish it out.

    10min/mile is awesome. Did you run "barefoot"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--definitely "no" on the barefoot/minimalist style shoes for a run of this length. I've found that even though my form is better with landing on my forefoot, it still puts too much pressure on my ankles for anything more than 3 to 4 miles. Are you using your barefoot style shoes still?

    ReplyDelete