Sunday, April 3, 2011

Waffle maker in the house

Now that I live closer to my parents, I'm ending up with the dregs of my dad's odd purchases. I'm sure he bought a waffle maker because it was "a great deal" -- but considering my mom would have no idea how to make waffle batter or interest in using a new contraption, and my dad certainly won't either, I'm unclear why they bothered.

So the brand-new-in-box, sitting in their garage for 3+ years waffle maker, is now mine. I put it to good use this morning.

This is the waffle batter I made, adapting from this AllRecipes recipe to fit with the ingredients I had on hand.

Coconut-Based Waffle Batter

Serving size: Not quite 1 full waffle

This makes a subtly coconut flavored waffle that only has the vaguest hint of sweetness. I topped with fruit preserves.

1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar (I used Xylitol)
Pinch of salt
Splash of vanilla extract
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4 c. water (may need to add more to thin out batter)
1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1-2 Tbsp. coconut butter
1 egg (separated)

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and egg yolk.

Whip the egg white until soft peaks form.

Microwave coconut oil and coconut butter until it's liquid, and then add to flour mixture. Add enough water to this mixture until it is the consistency of a pourable batter (not too thick, not too thin).

Fold in egg white to batter mixture -- don't overmix. Make waffle in waffle maker.


Note on Coconut Butter: Randomly purchased this at the Food Co-op yesterday. I think it'll make a good substitute for milk in sweeter recipes (which is what I did for these waffles).

No comments:

Post a Comment