Shockingly, I've been invited by Int*l to continue the interview process in Oregon. I'm excited and stressed since I now need to prepare a formal presentation (and they don't just want a re-hash of my dissertation defense).
I'm going to need to develop a 45-minute presentation on design strategy, innovative user research, technology trends/markets, and managing/leading people on projects -- all as it relates to creating novel technological products. Well, I don't just need to talk about those topics, I need to tell compelling stories about how my own experiences tie into those ideas. I developed the presentation topics based on the job requisition and the topics covered in the phone interview.
It's going to be a full day of interviews, which I've never experienced before, ever. N*kia only had me do 4 hours of interviewing. I'm going to need lots of Red Bull to stay peppy but articulate and wonderful for 7-8 hours straight. Yikes.
Other job hunt updates:
- HP Singapore, also surprisingly, was willing to do a second round of phone interviews with me. However, I withdrew my application since I do not want to make printers and I really was not foreseeing a great relationship with the hiring manager.
- C*sco, who I thought was absolutely loving me since their product centered on group communication and collaboration (and I gave them lots of good ideas about their product in the interviews), sent me an auto-rejection notice which I was not expecting.
I'm pretty annoyed with this C*sco team and the recruiter in general -- it's not that I think I'm so fantastic and deserve anything I interview for -- however, I don't like being led on by the recruiter who kept talking about how great a match I was (and that everyone I spoke with liked me) and that the next step would be a fly-up interview.
After my second phone screen, I was supposed to hear back by the following week (assumably about an in-person interview) -- I heard nothing for 4 weeks until the rejection email came through -- and clearly they'd hired someone else during that time. I think at the very least the recruiter could have sent me a personalized email letting me know (not to mention just staying in better contact with me overall). Thankfully I didn't want this position anyway, but now they've essentially severed any possibility I will want to consider future opportunities with them. Well, maybe they didn't like me either, but if so, no need to be fake about it.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's been my experience that HR generally drops the ball when it comes to this kind of stuff. I would rather have them tell me they are evaluating many candidates, etc., than to gush over me and then not contact me for a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteI had an interview in CA with a solar company and they said they would follow up within a week. I had to drag a sort of answer out of them after a month which is definitely not cool. Obviously they didn't want to hire me so I'd rather they just tell me I'm not a good fit. I can accept that fact, but don't want to be led on.
It would be interesting if you ended up with Int*l.
*Exactly* -- your experience with the solar company is what I find to be just terrible interviewing practices. I swear, interviewing for jobs is just like dating -- there are just so many duds out there!
ReplyDeleteIt will be really odd to get to move back to Oregon. I'm trying not to get focused on anything more than making it through the interview for now... obviously, I'll make it through life just fine if I don't get this job, but I will be very disappointed if I don't since I've been fantasizing about being part of an industry research team for years.