Wednesday, July 13, 2011

European Vacation 2011

Back from 10 days in Budapest (4 days), Krakow (2 days) + Auschwitz day trip, and Vienna (3 days).

Mainly we did a ton of walking (usually at least 13 miles/day) exploring different neighborhoods, and of course eating eating eating.

I'd never been to Europe in summer and can't say I'd want to visit during a peak time again. There were just extensive crowds everywhere, and whatever previous stereotype I had about Europeans being refined, intellectual, and smartly dressed were completely broken on this trip--mainly I felt like I was in any part of a touristy US city, just with better architecture and more gorgeous cathedrals.

Some impressions before I forget them:

- Budapest worth re-visiting and spending more time there, city has a great feel to it. It was the least touristy feeling here, and had a much more relaxed vibe.

- The bus drive from Budapest to Krakow was amazing because of Slovakia. The Tatra mountains looked to be an incredible escape.

- I had no idea Krakow was a party town, akin to Las Vegas or New Orleans. Not my scene, but the food was great & inexpensive. A gelato shop every single block, but the best was the soft serve swirl cones.

- Seeing the Auschwitz concentration camps was difficult but really worth it.

- Vienna was dull in terms of easily finding low-brow/not for tourists, independent culture. Lots of chain shops everywhere (even for the bakeries), and so so so expensive! Plus, everything opened late and closed early. Interesting graffiti art scene there, but not worth another visit except if I wanted to go shopping or the Museum Quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment